It’s that time of the year again where pumpkins get faces, kids get high on sugar and everything gets a bit spooky. It’s also that time of the year where I hear a lot of Christians say “we don’t do Halloween” while locking their front doors. I can understand the reasons why, however I want to share with you 5 resources that will help you think through how to engage with Halloween:
- Why God Loves Halloween – A Brilliant article from Peter Dray on the origins of Halloween and how Jesus has overcome death, fear and ghostly ghouls.
- Halloween: Trick or Treat – Glen Scrivener offers a different take on Halloween.
- Krish Kandiah: Why I’ve changed my mind about Halloween – Krish shares a similar article as Peter Dray, looking at the origins of Halloween and how he is celebrating it.
- God, Frankensteins, and more – Desiring God article shares how Christians can celebrate Halloween and make the most of the evening.
- Halloween: Why Christians Shouldn’t Be Afraid Of The Dark – Why Christians should engage with Halloween and stranger things while not being afraid when our culture talks about them.
All of these links show a positive side to Halloween. They are a challenging read, as well as being helpful, they uncover a different perspective for us so that we can engage with the celebration well.